Engraved in the History of Saint-Dominique
Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. invites you to learn about the company’s history. Did you know that the stone industry began to develop in the region early in the 19th century? At the time, limestone was a major component in construction – you'll learn how it has now transformed into an important ingredient for agriculture.
Significant Dates in the Company’s History
In 1810, the residents of Saint-Dominique, who were mostly farmers, started to work as stonemasons.
Around 1830, the village of Saint-Hyacinthe began purchasing limestone cornerstones for the construction of their buildings (e.g. the exterior of the Saint-Hyacinthe Seminary chapel).
The year 1854 was a high point in the production of limestone cornerstones as well as other limestone materials. Entire families from Saint-Dominique (great-grandfather, grandfather, father and son) became recognized as skilled stone workers. Several current employees of the quarry are descendants of these families (Baron, Brodeur, Daudelin, Dubreuil, Lafond, Lapointe, Ledoux, Richer, Sicard, etc.). Stone from Saint-Dominique was used for the construction of the Victoria Bridge in 1854.
Between 1925 and 1930, cement arrived on the market and began to take the place of limestone, which until then had been used in pure form for building construction.
The 1930s were a time when a significant recovery took place due to the development of gravel and paved roads.
After the Great Depression, since there was increased demand from farmers for lime, a high-quality limestone processing plant was established. It transforms limestone into pure white dust to make CACHO, which is our trademark to this day. Limestone is still used today to control soil acidity and improve the quality of agricultural land.
Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. was founded in 1938 and in the space of a few years, underwent dramatic expansion. At this time, the quarry was the largest and most prosperous industry in the great Maskoutain region.
In the 1960s, the existing facilities were modernized and new facilities were added. Crushing plants were improved with the addition of new screening equipment for manufacturing crushed stone. The limestone plant increased production by operating both day and night.
In 1970, a new concrete factory was built and the company acquired new mixers.
In 1996, Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. acquired a second concrete plant located in the Saint-Hyacinthe Industrial Park.
In 1996, a 12,000 sq. ft. garage was built for the repair and maintenance of our equipment.
In 1999, Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. began construction on a large crushing plant (P-4000).
In 2001, the ABQ (Association Béton Québec concrete association) gave Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. an honorary award for the development and promotion of rolled compacted concrete (RCC) in Quebec.
In 2001, the second construction phase on P-4000 continued with the installation of a 117 ft. long stone recovery tunnel installed under the reserve pile.
In 2002, the addition of the secondary section of the P-4000 plant began, with the installation of screening equipment and a crusher.
In early 2002, the company acquired a quarry in Saint-Pie and concrete plants in Granby, Farnham, Saint-Jean-Baptiste and Magog.
In 2004, the third phase of construction on the P-4000 plant began. This "tertiary" phase made it possible to produce stone for the concrete and asphalt plants while increasing the ability to produce a good quality graded stone.
In 2005, Béton Aimé-Côté de Sherbrooke concrete company joined the growing family of Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd.
In 2006, new administrative offices were built at 700 Rue Principale in Saint-Dominique. The building is energy efficient due to the use of insulated formwork.
In 2008, Les Carrières de Saint-Dominique Ltd. acquired Produits de Ciment Couillard in Coaticook and Béton Suprême in Lac Brome.
In 2009, the Citizens Dialogue Committee was created.
In 2010, the fourth phase of the construction of P-4000 was erected. This phase made it possible to refine the stone. Equipment such as dust collectors and containment shelters were added to control noise and dust.